Yesterday I had a small cupcake operation going on in my kitchen! I haven't made cupcakes in years!! It was one of my friend's birthdays and I wanted to bring dessert. Last year I had made a yellow cake with chocolate frosting. This year I made chocolate cupcakes with 2 different frosting flavors. The first is with dark chocolate espresso and the second (coming tomorrow) is German Chocolate Cake! I have a little bit of the chocolate frosting left over and I've been eating it by the spoon for breakfast.
Dark Chocolate Espresso Frosting:
- 1 stick of butter
- 2/3 cup of the darkest cocoa powder you can find
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup STRONG espresso
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Melt the butter almost fully and stir in cocoa & vanilla. Add powdered sugar and espresso alternating until fully incorporated.
The recipe comes from Martha Stewart
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside. Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.